Gerontology Club members raise funds annually for the Alzheimer's Disease Memory Walk
Gerontology Club—Making a Difference
Welcome to our website! We, the members of the Missouri State Gerontology Club, invite you to join us. In keeping with the University’s public affairs mission, our organization provides leadership opportunities, culturally-and-diversity-enriching experiences, and community engagement projects. We extend club membership to anyone who wants to be involved in our mission of improving the well-being and quality of life for elders in the greater Springfield area. Not only will you be making a difference, you will form life-long friendships and build professional networks.
Gerontology Club members…
- Meet weekly because we like to get together for food, fun, and mingling with students from Gerontology, Psychology, Social Work, and a variety of other disciplines.
- Take on leadership roles in developing projects, applying for grants, helping to produce campus-wide seminars, and heading up fund-raising activities
- Share educational and professional experiences with others who want to enhance the lives of older adults
Just a few of our many adventures have included…
- Hula-hooping with elders living at The Gardens
- Buying presents in December for low-income elders and those who do not have family members through our annual Sharing with Elders
- Raising funds to find the cure for Alzheimer’s disease. The MSU GER Club has been the top money-raiser three out of the last four years the Memory Walk has been held!
- Securing grant funding for and implementing a Women’s History Month event about women’s right to vote that included an intergenerational panel of elders, boomers, and students
- Showcasing local centenarians at a public affairs symposium
- Holding an Oldly-wed, Middly-wed, Newly-wed game show
- Setting up amazing senior artwork in Juanita K. Hammonds for the annual Senior Art Exhibition
- Sharing photos of our dogs, cats, horses, kids, boyfriends, girlfriends, weddings, and above all, our grandparents! All this while eating PIZZA!
Members volunteer at various agencies/facilities in the Springfield area that provide services to older adults. Some volunteer locations include the Southside Senior Center, Northview Community Center, Creekside at Elfindale, Spring Ridge Assisted Living, Cambridge Retirement Community, Southwest Missouri Office on Aging, Springfield Rehabilitation and Health Care Center and Primrose Place.
The Gerontology Program sponsors the Missouri State chapter of SIGMA PHI OMEGA. This is a national Gerontology Honors Society of the Association for Gerontology in Higher Education.
Please come for the food and stay for the fun.