Importance of an Advisor
Advisors of student organizations are worth more than their weight in gold. An advisor can provide continuity, support student organizations, guide students through tough times, and enhance the good times. This supplement provides current Missouri State University advisors with the support and information needed to find success and satisfaction in the position. It also gives potential advisors a taste of what advising entails.
Benefits of Serving as an Advisor
- A unique opportunity for getting to know and work with students outside the classroom or office.
- The reward of watching the group develop and grow to its fullest potential.
- The reward of watching students mature and develop their individual skill and talents.
- Satisfaction and sense of accomplishment through making a special contribution to a particular group of students.
- The informal opportunity to share your knowledge and expertise on relevant topics.
- The chance to demonstrate service to students, an organization, and the university.
- Advisor Supplement to the Student Organization Handbook 2019-2020
- Student Organization Handbook 2019-2020
- Best Practices for Officer Transitions
- Risk Management Presentation
- Resources On-Campus (Handout)
- Officer Transition Packet (Handout)
- Organization Transition Checklist (Handout)
- Frequently Asked Questions
Interested in Becoming an Advisor?
If you are interested in becoming a student organization advisor please complete this form. The following form will be used to connect prospective advisors to student organizations based on common interest. If an organization should arise that best fits your interest, you will be contacted by the Office of Student Engagement with further information.
Advisor Supplement to the Student Organization Handbook
The Student Organization Handbook’s Advisor’s Supplement is an assortment of suggestions, tips, expectations, and procedures consolidated into one resource. It does not, however, include everything an advisor needs to know or have the answers to every situation. The Advisor Supplement offers a good starting point for an advisor’s success.
The following handbook provides a framework for advisors to use when working with a student organization. The most important thing to remember as an advisor is every organization, and every student, is different. Part of your role is to assist members as they develop their unique foundation for productivity, goal-setting, and decision-making skills that will prepare them for life beyond the university.