Upcoming GIS Events
What happened this year
- Gamma Iota Sigma students attended the Springfield Cardinals game hosted by the Ozark Area RIMS Chapter. The students had a blast while they enjoyed free food and drinks and watched the game!
- Recruitment week was held September 2-5, GIS held two info sessions where they provided free pizza, and had a bowling night as well as a Fraternity BBQ.
- A couple of members attended and helped out at the RIMS Annual Golf Tournament to help raise money towards Missouri State RMI Scholarships!
- The first official meeting was held in mid-September. The students heard from guest speaker Jay Enloe from O'Reilly Automotive.
- A reunion was held in late September in celebration of the 20th year of Gamma Iota Sigma and the Risk Management and Insurance program.
- A handful of members attended the Annual International Conference in Charlotte, North Carolina at the beginning of October. Over 50 employers attended this conference as well.
What happened last year
Gamma Iota Sigma had multiple meetings in the past years that have hosted multiple guest speakers with experience in sales, claims, underwriting, actuarial, and management. Gamma Iota Sigma's goal is to invite speakers who are job providers and can share their experience to better prepare our students for the industry before and after graduation. Some of the guest speakers included last year were:
Dick Kline - Executive Advisor at Cameron Insurance Companies
- Kent Ochs from Chartis
- Scott Risdall from Travelers' Insurance
- Jim Flinn - Chief Risk Officer and the AVP in Corporate Actuarial at ANPAC
- Kaci Helsmann and Cynthia De La Pena from AAA
- Luke Charlton - Claim Services at Farmers
- Andrew Peters - State Farm Agent
- Jeffrey Vernor from Russell Investments
Gamma Iota Sigma Annual Conference
In October 2013, Gamma Iota Sigma Fraternity members attended the Annual Conference at Appalachian State University in Charlotte, North Carolina. At the conference, members heard from keynote speakers with great experience and insight from the insurance industry, attended educational workshops regarding the industry and chapter management workshops, met with potential employers, and a couple of attendees even had the opportunity to be interviewed for internships and full-time positions! The fraternity also plans to join the conference again next fall in Dallas, Texas!
Ozarks Insurance Day
The 34th Annual Ozarks Insurance Day was held on Thursday, October 10, 2013 at the University Plaza from 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. The keynote speaker was Don Harkey, partner and co-founder of People Centric Consulting here in Springfield. Don provides strategic planning, seminars, public speaking, and resources for businesses and organizations. Students were also encouraged to attend the young professionals panel where they heard from younger employees in the insurance industry.
What's to come
Gamma Iota Sigma has a handful of events planned for the month of November. The fraternity has made some changes to where we will host a meeting, social event, fundraising event, and community service each month/semester.
We have plans to host our second meeting on Thursday, November 7, 2013. The time and classroom has not yet been established. Stay posted for more details.
Our social event planned for November is on Sunday the 10th. We plan to take a trip to Branson to have dinner and look at the drive-through lights show. This also has not been set in stone. More details to come.
Our community service event has been set for November, 19 at Convoy of Hope from 6:30-8:30 p.m. We will give our members a chance to sign up for this opportunity at one of our earlier meetings.
On December 5, we plan to host our fundraising event with Pickleman's. More details on this event will be given out at our second meeting!
Gamma Iota Sigma is constantly planning educational opportunities for all of its members!