What are the STAR Awards?
In 1996 Missouri State University hosted the first ever Student Talent and Recognition (STAR) Awards Ceremony. Each year the STAR Awards ceremony honors roughly twenty-five outstanding student leaders and student organizations which have been nominated by various organizations, students, faculty, and staff. Since its beginning, STAR Awards has recognized roughly 350 students, organizations, and advisors at Missouri State.
This occasion is best described as a business formal/cocktail event which provides a buffet dinner and surrounds its guests with elegant décor.
About the Awards & Application Process:
On average, 150 applications are submitted to the Office of Student Engagement each year and nominations are taken from faculty, staff, students, and student organizations. We encourage you to make nominations for every award possible, for there are two categories: organization and individual. All nominations may be completed utilizing the CampusLINK form.
*No applications will be accepted via email or physically. Only those submitted utilizing the online nomination form will be accepted.
STAR Awards Nominations 2017:
- Click here for a description of each award category.
- To nominate an indivudal or an organization, click on the title of the award below in the table.
- Nominations will be accepted beginning Monday, January 22nd through Friday, February 23rd at 5pm.
- Self-Nominations are not accepted for the Individual Category.
- Organizations should include documentation if asked. No penalty will be given, however organizations that provide sufficient material are more likely to be considered for the award.
- Some nominations require letters of recommendation. Those letters need to be submitted via the online nomination as a pdf.
Questions about STAR Awards? Download FAQs page:
- Call the Office of Student Engagement at 417-836-4386,
- Email Chris Groh, Graduate Assistant for Co-Curricular Involvement, at Groh333@live.missouristate.edu.
- Email Andrea Greer, Assistant Director of Student Engagement for Co-Curricular Involvement, at AGreer@missouristate.edu.
2017 STAR Awards Winners
|Public Affairs Commitment||Phi Gamma Delta|
|First Generation Student Award||Victor Mitchell & Marli Coonrod|
|Student Excellence in Service Learning||Jessica Spauldin|
|Dr. Earle Doman Student Comitment Award||Captain Aaron Eidem|
|Sarah Bickel Leadership Scholarship||Blake Shepheard|
|Outstanding Student Employee||Kimberly Kayser|
|Outstanding Organization Advisor||Ivy Yarckow-Brown|
|Outstanding Freshman||Macy Hankel|
|Outstanding Sophomore||Kirsten Spangenberg|
|Outstanding Transfer Student||Kaitlyn Fennesy|
|Outstanding Junior||Brianna Duda|
|Outstanding Senior||Ashley Crisafulli|
|Outstanding Graduate Student||Emma Rapp|
|Outstanding Non-Traditional Student||Victor Mitchell|
|Outstanding Student Leader||Ashley Crisafulli|
|Living Our Values Award||Katy Warfield|
|Outstanding Collaborative Program||"Counting to 1000" by Alpha Phi Sigma-Sigma Mu Sigma|
|Outstanding Diversity/Multicultural Program||"Black Lives Matter vs. All Lives Matter: Student Discussion" by Student Activities Council|
|Outstanding Philanthropic Program||"Greek Tug" by Delta Zeta|
|Outstanding Service/Volunteer Program||Bear Service Team|
|Outstanding Social/Entertainment Program||"Tarang" by Indian Student Association|
|Outstanding Academic/Education Program||"Diversity in FSL" by Phi Gamma Delta|
|Outstanding Diversity Development Program||Xi Omicron Iota|
|Outstanding Leadership/Membership Development Program||Alpha Delta Pi|
|Most Improved Organization||Association of Black Collegians|
|Outstanding New Organization||Active Minds|
|Mark of Distinction||Residence Hall Association|
|Distinguished Merit (5)||
Alpha Delta Pi
Phi Gamma Delta
Sigma Phi Epsilon
Alpha Chi Omega